The Mi'kmaq Nation established a Membership Ordinance in the year 2001. In order to become a member you must meet the following required criteria:

  • You must fill out and return the application for membership
  • You must have the certification within the application notarized
  • Provide a Certified Birth Certificate, which will be returned to you after copies are made for your file
  • You must have pre-recognition ties to Aroostook County, Maine before November 26, 1991
  • You must provide documentation of Micmac Ancestry.
  • You must be a United States citizen

Once an application is returned to this office it will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. If the file is found to be complete by the Committee it is then forwarded to Tribal Council for approval. If the application is approved, the applicant will be notified by mail.

If an application is submitted without meeting all of the above mentioned requirements the applicant will be notified by mail and given 90 days to complete the file. If the file is not completed within the 90 days, the file will be mailed back to the applicant.


What is "ties to Aroostook County" and what is considered proof?

Ties to Aroostook County is having a significant connection through you or an immediate family member. An immediate family member is, as defined in the Membership Ordinance, a person's child, parent, grandparent, or sibling. Ties can be proven by official documents such as, but not limited to, birth certificates or school records to show residency prior to November 26, 1991.

What documents are acceptable in order to prove Micmac Ancestry?

Acceptable documents to prove Micmac ancestry are a band card or a letter from a recognized Micmac Tribe in Canada through Indian Affairs in Ottawa.

Which band cards are accepted as proof of Micmac ancestry by the Mi'kmaq Nation?

The only band cards accepted are approved by Indian Affairs in Ottawa. There are other organizations throughout Canada that issue their members cards, however, if they are not issued by a recognized tribe by Indian Affairs we do not accept the card as proof.

Does the Mi'kmaq Nation offer assistance with genealogical research for potential applicants?

No. The Tribe does not do any type of research. The burden of proof is the responsibility of the applicant.


  • Start with birth certificates. Once you have established a chain linking you back to the person whom you consider to be Micmac, your trace should lead you to Canada. On the birth certificate it should state where your ancestor was born. Once you have a location check with Tribes in the surrounding area.
  • The internet offers many sites for genealogy.
  • You could also consider hiring a genealogist.

A few things to keep in mind when tracing Micmac ancestry is:
If you are tracing your ancestry back before the early 1900's the Mi'kmaq Nation does not have any members born before this time.

Micmacs have been in Aroostook County for hundreds of years, however the Mi'kmaq Nation has only been Federally Recognized since November of 1991.
We also do not have records on any other Micmac Tribes.
There are 28 Micmac Tribes throughout Canada.

If I am Canadian born and hold a recognized band card from Canada do I have Dual Citizenship based on the Jay Treaty?

The Jay Treaty does not give Canadian born Natives citizenship to the United States. The Jay Treaty allows these individuals to freely cross the border; reside and work in the United States; and collect benefits such as Social Security and TANF so long as you meet the governments requirements.
The definition of citizenship is: "a member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to it by birth or naturalization"paraphrased from Websters New World Dictionary copywright 1990,1995 by Simon &Schuster

Do I have to give up my Canadian Status Card if I become a member of the Mi'kmaq Nation?

No. You can be a member of the Mi'kmaq Nation as well as a member of a Tribe in Canada.

Can I transfer my membership from another Micmac Tribe to the Mi'kmaq Nation?

No. The only way to become a member of the Mi'kmaq Nation is to apply for membership and meet all requirements.

Can I be a member of more than one Federally Recognized Tribe in the United States?

No. While you may be eligible for membership with more than one U.S. Tribe, you must choose which Tribe you obtain membership with.

What services are given once I become a member?

Once you become a member you would be entitled to, including but not limited to, the following:
  • Voting Rights within the Tribe as outlined in the By-laws
  • Health Care Services
  • Tuition Waiver for Higher Education in Maine
  • Housing as determined by eligibility and availability

In order to receive direct service benefits most programs require that the members reside within Aroostook County. All services offered by the Mi'kmaq Nation are detailed within the web site

There is a common misconception that being a member of an Indian Tribe allows an individual to receive a monetary disbursement. While some Tribes are capable of providing their members with this type of compensation, through economic development ventures, not all Tribe's are able to provide this service. The Mi'kmaq Nation does not provide this service to its members at this time.